The Million Dollar Question: What Self Storage Size Do I Need?
It’s a question we’ve all asked experts, even perfect strangers, and ourselves. From carry on suitcases and skis to mountain bikes, moving trucks, and yes, even self storage—What Size Do I Need?—is usually the first question that comes to mind.
Finding the correct answer practically guarantees you’ll save time and money. If you start out with the right size, it means you aren’t overpaying for more than you need. Nor will you waste time on returning or exchanging something because you got the wrong size.
When it comes to storage units, choosing the right size from the start simply means you won’t have to repack a unit that is too small or spend money on space you don’t need. Like the Goldilocks Principle—not too large, not too small, just right—the perfect storage unit is sure to please.
With that in mind, let’s explore how to determine if you need a small storage unit, a large storage unit, something in between, or all of the above!
Popular Storage Unit Sizes
- 5X5 is the most popular storage unit size. These can be found with various features including 24-hour access and climate control. If you are craving extra closet space in your home for seasonal storage or need to store sales rep materials, a 5 by 5 storage unit is easy to picture.
- 5X10 fits the bill if you need to store an extra bed, seasonal gear for a large family, or small amounts of furniture. However, if the idea of a walk-in closet is appealing you can spread out your stored items and easily access everything in a 5 by 10 storage unit.
- 10X10 storage units are typically thought of as the equivalent to half a one-car garage. If you have a landscaping business, need to store a motorcycle or the contents of a small one-bedroom apartment you can find a variety of features. These include drive up exterior access, climate control, and individually alarmed 10 by 10 storage units.
Unless you have the gift of spatial visualization determining your storage space requirement for larger moving projects can be a bit daunting, and storage units can be as large as 10X30 or bigger. Thankfully, the storage professionals at Metro Self Storage can assist you.
With years of mini storage experience, we offer storage prowess and storage unit size selection resources to make your next move seem like magic.
- Look for odd sizes like 4×7, or 3X3 storage lockers and are sometimes cheaper than the standard 5×5 and 10×10 storage units.
- Smaller storage unit sizes are sometimes overlooked but provide economical storage solutions for students, small businesses, and those needing to store smaller items such as gifts and seasonal decorations or recreational gear.