Have you been procrastinating your Holiday shopping? Don’t panic yet. Chicago has some of the best Christmas shopping destinations in the Midwest. It is an exciting place to be any time of the year, but at Christmas, the sky is the limit in Chicago. Get ready to bundle up because you can watch the Magnificent Mile sparkle, ice skaters doing pirouettes in Millennium Park, and free concerts everywhere.
But perhaps the biggest treat in store for tourists and Chicagoans alike this holiday season is Christmas Shopping in River North Chicago.
Christmas Shopping—Magnificent Mile
Magnificent Mile is the ideal place to meet all of your shopping needs for everyone on your list this holiday season. Better yet, the Magnificent Mile is located just one mile from our state-of-the-art River North Chicago self storage facility. A self storage unit is an ideal place to keep gifts hidden from loved ones who may be tempted to look for hidden presents and even pry into wrapped presents.
Michigan Avenue is particularly worth seeing during the holidays with its famous Magnificent Mile Lights Festival, possibly the most popular Christmas event in all of Chicago.
Popular Magnificent Mile Stores
• Lord & Taylor
• Banana Republic
After a day of shopping, stop by Metro Self Storage on Desplaines Street just South of Grand Avenue to drop off all of your bags and boxes. You will find a variety of storage unit sizes with short-term lease options and super-friendly customer service to help you keep Santa’s gifts secret this Christmas.
Best Christmas Shopping in River North Chicago
Along with being Chicago’s central art gallery district, River North has attracted great retailers and restaurants, and bustles with delighted shoppers during the busy Christmas shopping season. The flagship American Girl Store will provide hours of fun for the younger set, but many would say the best shopping in River North Chicago is at the Merchandise Mart. It looms large above the Chicago River at the southern end of River North and is the world’s largest commercial building.
During Christmastime the Merchandise Mart’s annual “One of a Kind” fine-arts sale Dec. 3-6 is hugely popular. Additionally, public tours of the whole complex are offered once a week, usually on Fridays.
Popular River North Chicago Stores
• Apple Store
• The Shops at North Bridge
• American Girl
• Water Tower Plaza
• 900 North Michigan Shops
Navigating Chicago at Christmas is not for the fainthearted. When everyone needs a break from shopping, head over to the Museum of Science and Industry’s “Christmas Around the World’’ exhibit of 50 trees. It is a special treat for tourists and families alike.
For a touch of nostalgia, visit the Christkindlmarket in Daley Plaza, which brings the cherished Old World German and European Christmas traditions to the heart of Near North Side Chicago.
It turns out a perfect place to hide presents from prying eyes is a self storage unit.
Bonus Tips: What to do in Chicago River North
• Magnificent Mile Lights Festival hosts family-friendly events including Lights Festival Lane and a grand tree-lighting parade featuring Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and spectacular fireworks over the Chicago River.
• Christkindlmarket Chicago Nov. 20-Dec. 24 brings the cherished German tradition with international flair and local charm to Chicago.
• Chicago’s ultra-luxury shopping destination can be found on Oak Street, which hosts “Light Up The Holiday’s” on Nov.15, between Michigan Avenue and Rush Street. Don’t miss Oak Street’s “Let it Snow Sale” event that runs every year throughout the month of January.
• Ice-skating Millennium Park is free; skate rental is $12.
• “Dance-Along Nutcracker”: This free annual event is held across from Millennium Park at the Chicago Cultural Center. There’s always something going on at this 1897 neoclassical former library, known as The People’s Palace, which has two spectacular stained-glass domes.
• Museum of Science and Industry celebrates 74 years in 2015 so be sure not to miss the beloved “Christmas Around the World” exhibit.