Whether you decided to opt out of the Black Friday madness this year or to jump in with both feet the big question remains—is there a way to simplify Christmas?
We think so. Renting a storage unit during the holidays can certainly alleviate the stress created by not having enough space in your home to hide oversized gifts, entertain friends, or accommodate out of town guests.
You don’t have to worry about long-term financial commitments either; many storage facilities offer flexible short-term leasing options during the holidays to meet the temporary storage needs of families and businesses just like yours.
1. Self Storage Security Features
Worrying if your belongings are safely stored during the holidays is the last thing you want to be thinking about. Instead, visions of the perfect Christmas evening or planning a post-holiday vacation to a subtropical climate is what you deserve.
To ensure your peace of mind when renting a storage unit look for these following features:
- Find a storage facility that offers a personalized key code access. Renters can be rest assured that anyone who is entering the storage facility has a designated access code.
- Choosing a well-lit property is especially important this time of year because it gets darker much earlier in most parts of the country. A well-lit storage unit can also help ensure that Santa (aka you) won’t trip when retrieving Christmas gifts or other stored items from a storage unit.
- With 24-hour video surveillance placed at the main gate and in a variety of locations throughout the property, the storage team can keep an eye out on who is coming and going at all times.
- Did you forget a lock? Not a problem if you chose a storage facility that sells moving and packing supplies on site. Disk locks are believed to be more secure than padlocks, and the majority of storage offices have them for sale.
2. Types of Specialty Storage
There are many different types of storage, and specialty storage differs from traditional storage by offering a range of features and services that go beyond the standard 5X5 to 10X30 storage units.
Small specialty storage options such as storage lockers are ideal for hiding small Christmas gifts, and they can be used to store Christmas decorations after the holidays. Larger specialty storage can include car storage and covered parking making it ideal if you are buying your significant other a new car or boat for Christmas.
Specialty storage often includes a set of features such as climate-controlled storage, a business center with WiFi, and package acceptance making these facilities ideal for combining work and errands, especially, during this busy time of year.
RV, Boat, and Car Storage
While RV travel is a favorite American pastime, storing a large vehicle on your property can present a challenge to your home’s curb appeal anytime of the year. In colder regions it is advisable to prepare and store RVs during winter months.
If there is a large RV, boat, or motorhome parked in your front yard, it might get in the way of neighbors oohing and aahing over your knock-out Christmas decorations.
Moreover, if you are expecting out of town guests, then an RV self storage facility will help you free up extra parking space in front of your home. You and your guests will surely be grateful to park closer to the front door during the chilly winter months.
Desirable vehicle storage facility features include:
- Security features that include well-lit areas, perimeter fencing, and video surveillance—all designed to protect your significant investment.
- Some RV storage facilities offer covered parking or fully enclosed buildings to protect RVs, boats, and motorhomes from extreme weather conditions.
- Additional services tailored to RV owners can include one or more of the following: electrical hook-ups, washing bays, dump stations, and 24-hour access.
If you have an extensive wine collection, there will be no more whining about your wine if you do not have the money to invest in building an expensive wine cellar over the holidays.
Wouldn’t it be nice to clean out the bedroom or understairs closet that you are currently using for your wine collection? As it turns out, a well-equipped self storage facility is the ideal place to store all types of wine.
Must-have wine storage features:
- State-of-the-art security system to protect your investment.
- The ideal wine storage environment where it is dark and the temperature is consistently maintained.
- A well-trained and friendly staff who understands wine storage and can provide you with the assistance you need.
- Choose a storage facility that accepts shipments from your favorite wine clubs.
- The wine storage unit should allow bottles to be kept on their sides, and with little movement.
3. Climate-Controlled or Non-Climate-Controlled Storage Units?
A storage unit is a great asset to have during the holidays; it prevents loved ones from finding their gifts and allows you to declutter rooms ensuring you will have extra space to host out of town guests and holiday dinner parties.
Deciding if you need a climate-controlled and non-climate-controlled storage unit for your holiday seasonal storage needs is as easy as 1, 2, 3. Simply answer these three questions:
- What items are you planning to store?
- How long do you plan to store these items?
- Is your storage location in a region with extreme winters?
A friendly, well-trained storage manager will be happy to talk to you about your particular holiday storage needs and find a solution that works best for your belongings and your budget.
With a quick visit to your nearest storage facility, you can choose a storage unit to meet your holiday storage needs. Don’t let the time and energy you’ve spent shopping for the perfect presents for everyone on your Christmas list be for naught.
Keeping gifts hidden from loved ones, and everyone comfortable in the roomier spaces you’ve created in your home, will make you feel bright and cheery. Isn’t that really what the season is all about?